What information do we collect about you?
We collect information about you when you register to join the Edinburgh Chamber as a member with us or book an event or training session with us, which can include:
- Business name
- Business address
- Business size
- Operating sector
- Contact names of individuals within member organisations, or event/training attendees
- Contact email addresses
- Contact telephone numbers
Website usage information is also collected using analytical cookies.
How we get the personal information and why we have it?
Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you for one of the following reasons:
- To sign you up as a member of the Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce
- To create a booking for an upcoming event, course or seminar we are running
- To register your interest in one of our services
- To sign up to our mailing list or magazine distribution list
We also process data for projects we manage:
- Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce undertakes a number of distinct funded projects as a prime contractor on behalf of 3rd party organisations both in the public and private sectors – examples of these projects include, DYW, Circular Economy and the UK Government Kickstart Scheme. We collect and process data in line with the requirements of these projects. Depending on the nature of data collected, we store it in line with terms and conditions as part of our service level agreements with the project funders. Some data may therefore be stored for a period of up to 7 years (in particular, financial records), after which we would delete these records. Data storage requirements for distinct projects can be made available via direct request to Edinburgh Chamber via the firstname.lastname@example.org mailbox
We use the information that you have given us in order to:
- Process and manage your membership with us
- Process bookings to your events and courses
- To keep you up to date on changes to your membership and any services that the Chamber offers to you
- If you are a member and have consented to this – to list your business details (business name, key contact email and telephone) on our Membership Directory for networking purposes. Please note this is a member only, secure sign in area.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the lawful bases we rely on for processing this information are:
- Your consent. You are able to remove your consent at any time. You can do this by contacting email@example.com
- We have a legitimate interest.
We use data collected through Google Analytics via our website to monitor and track visitor numbers and trends, and to continue to improve our services.
Do we share your information?
The Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce will not share your information for marketing purposes with companies.
If you are a member of the Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce, we may share your company information with our affinity providers and partners, who offer services which form part of our Chamber of Commerce membership benefits package. This will ensure they can provide their services to you when required.
This will include:
- Quest: Our free HR & Legal Advice Service supplier
- Distinctive: The publishers of our Business Comment magazine
We would like to send members and non-members information about the Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce including membership benefits, event and training invitations and newsletters.
If you are on the list to receive our marketing emails, you may opt out at any time by following the ‘unsubscribe’ button on our emails.
How long do we store your data?
Your information is securely stored on our cloud based CRM system for the duration of your membership.
The Chamber carries our regular cleansing of our CRM system and deactivates accounts which are no longer active (either resigned companies or accounts with no activity for over 12 months).
Access to your information, correction and Right to Erasure
You have the right to request a copy, or to amend the information that we hold about you at any time. If you would like to view or amend your details you can do so by logging in to your account by clicking here and you can then access your details and update and amend your own records.
We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. You may also ask us to correct or remove information you think is inaccurate and we can do this for you if you prefer not to change the data yourself via the link above.
In accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), you have the right to have your personal data erased from our system. Exercising this right will remove your personal details including your name, contact details, address and social media links. Please note, we will retain a log entry only with your Name, Email Address and Date you requested a “Right To Erasure” in order for us to be compliant with auditing requirements.
You may follow this link if you would like to exercise your “Right to Erasure”. Please note that this can take up to a 30 days to be completed. Once your request has been received, an email will be sent to our team regarding your request. You will also receive confirmation of your “Right to Erasure” request once processed for your records.
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard internet log information and visitor behaviour information. This information is used to track visitor use of the website and to compile statistical reports on website activity.
For further information visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org.
You can set your browser not to accept cookies and the above websites tell you how to remove cookies from your browser. However in a few cases some of our website features may not function as a result.
How to contact us
- EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org – please use the subject ‘GDPR Enquiry’
- PHONE: 0131 221 2999
- MAIL: Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce, Ardmore House, 2nd Floor, 40 George Street, Edinburgh, EH2 2LE
We will respond to all enquiries within 30 days.