BT Murrayfield’s football dream team
Some of world football’s most famous named have played in the world-class stadium
A collection of football’s biggest stars have graced the BT Murrayfield turf over the past two decades. Barcelona played friendlies there twice – against Hearts in 2007 and then neighbours Hibernian in 2008 – while the Tynecastle club also played European ties at BT Murrayfield in 2004 and 2006, as well as SPFL matches there earlier this season.
With their stadium out of commission in the build-up to the Commonwealth Games, Celtic played their Champions League qualifying ties in Edinburgh in 2014.
Here’s a star-studded XI of those who have played football at the home of Scottish Rugby:
- Fraser Forster (Southampton) – played for Celtic in their Champions League qualifying campaign at Murrayfield in 2014
- Dani Alves (PSG) – wing-back made his Barcelona debut vs Hearts in 2008 shortly after signing from Sevilla
- Michal Kadlec (Sparta Prague) – veteran Czech international was in his first spell at Sparta when they played Hearts in the 2006 UEFA Cup
- Alex McLeish (Scotland manager) – played in a game between MSPs and sportscotland staff shortly after the formation of the Scottish Parliament in 1999
- Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool) – like Forster was involved in Celtic’s 2014 Champions League qualifiers.
- Xavi (Al Sadd) – metronomic midfielder played for Barcelona vs Hearts in 2007
- Christian Poulsen (retired) – former Juventus, Liverpool and Ajax midfielder was with Schalke when they played Hearts in 2004
- Andres Iniesta (Barcelona) – midfield legend starred against Craig Levein’s side in 2007
- Thierry Henry (Belgium assistant manager) – Frenchman played against both Edinburgh sides in 2007 and 2008
- Lionel Messi (Barcelona) – Argentine magician lit up Murrayfield with a starring role against Hibs in 2008
- Ronaldinho (retired) – Brazilian scored twice as Hearts were beaten 3-1 in 2007
Subs: Valdes, Thuram, Pique, Gudjohnsen, Busquets, Eto’o, Asamoah