Exciting Opportunity – We’re recruiting for a Customs Declarations Agent
We are looking to recruit a full time Customs Declarations Agent / Certification Documentation Agent to join our busy Customs Declaration team. The role involves completing import and export customs entries on behalf of our customers who rely on our skilled team for guidance and advice and to make sure entries are HMRC compliant. The role would suit someone with excellent communication skills, proactive approach and good knowledge of international trade. Full details follow.
Job Title: Customs Declarations Agent / Certification Documentation Agent
Salary: 23K (Full time, 35 hours per week)
Reports to: Head of International
Closing date for applications: 5th January 2021
Virtual Interviews: 8-13th January 2021
To commence employment: 1st February 2021
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB:
The UK Government has recently published a new Border Operating Model that will change the way in which goods are imported to and exported from the UK from 1st January 2021. We are building out our team to meet an increased demand for our customs clearance services.
Customs Declarations Agents are responsible for completing import and export customs entries on behalf of our customers who rely on our skilled team for guidance and advice and to make sure entries are HMRC compliant. Once you have completed our intensive training programme you will be on-boarding customers, getting to know their supply chains and helping them understand how to provide you with the information you need to clear their goods through UK ports.
The end of the transition period will mean that demand for our services is set to grow quickly, so we need people who can demonstrate an interest in international trade, have an enquiring mind, can learn at pace, and want to help grow our business.
The Chamber’s documentation service ensures processes are in place to ensure continuity in provision of export documents. There is a forecasted increase in demand for Certification and Documentation services.
- Complete customs entries in an accurate and timely manner
- Submission of customs declarations using simplified, summary and standard procedures
- Checking of all relevant customs and trade documents
- Forwarding of customs release messages to clients and their representatives
- Understand Tariff classification and Customs Procedure Codes
- Understand Export Documents and Certificates
- Scanning and filing of support documents
- Communication with customs authorities such as HMRC
- Ensure delivery of a compliant service
- Build relationships and rapport with new and existing customers
- Respond to business enquiries regarding ChamberCustoms service.
- Adhere to all Chamber policies and procedures
- Engage in CPD activity to keep your knowledge on customs policies up to date
- Deal with enquiries and help to sell relevant international trade services
- From time to time help to deliver on other business and operational objectives
- Strong systems/IT Skills
- 5 GCSE (or equivalent) including Maths and English
- Good IT knowledge (Office 365 or similar)
- Keyboard speed and accuracy
- An interest in learning new skills
- Literate and numerate
- Attention to detail
- A good standard of spoken and written English
- Committed and energetic
- A methodical but enquiring mind
- Prior experience in an international trade role
- Customs broker/forwarder/ International Trade/ Logistics experience
- Commercial awareness
Attitude and Experience
- Approachable and able to establish and maintain excellent working relationships with the International Trade team, wider business and external partners.
- Ability to plan, organise and prioritise workload
- Ability to work collaboratively to achieve goals
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Create, maintain and promote positive working relationships internally and externally
- Customer orientated and focused.
Applications including details on availability to be sent to:
Jillian Gothard, Customs Declarations Officer