Increased cycle safety in city centre
- Advanced green lights will give cyclists more space and time
- This is the latest in a programme of measures to improve cycle safety around tram tracks
- Changes will be complemented by Spaces for People improvements for pedestrians and cyclists
We’ve installed new advanced green lights for cyclists in Edinburgh’s city centre to help improve cycle safety around tram tracks.
The lights, which have been introduced at a number of locations around Princes Street, St Andrew Square and the West End, give cyclists more space and time at key junctions.
This is the latest in a series of measures to improve safety for people cycling near the city centre tram route over recent years. These include red-surfaced cycle lanes at key points to make it easier to cross the tram tracks, more advance stop boxes and additional warning signs for drivers and cyclists.
Transport and Environment Convener Councillor Lesley Macinnes said:
“Cycle safety is of utmost importance to us, and in recent years we have worked to introduce several changes to help protect cyclists travelling near the tram tracks.
“By introducing early release green lights for cyclists we are giving anyone travelling by bike more space at a number of busy junctions around the city centre.”
Drivers are being advised to look out for the early release green lights for cyclists. Drivers must wait for their own green light and are encouraged to give people cycling a lot of extra space around tram tracks.
We’ve recently introduced several measures to create safer spaces for walking and cycling in the city centre as part of our Spaces for People programme. Amongst these are temporary segregated cycle lanes between Forrest Road and the Mound, the closure of Waverley Bridge to motor traffic at the junction with Princes Street and widened pavements on East Princes Street and South St David Street.
Advanced green lights for people cycling have been installed on specific approach arms at the following junctions:
• North St Andrew Street / St Andrew Square
• South St Andrew Street / St Andrew Square
• Princes Street / The Mound
• Princes Street / Frederick Street
• Princes Street / Lothian Road
• Shandwick Place / Princes Street
• Atholl Place / Manor Place
• West Maitland Street / Palmerston Place
• Dalry Road / Haymarket Junction
Find out more about tram safety on the Council website.