DM Hall sells former Eastwood Golf Club site on Glasgow’s south side for more than the £750k asking price
A reversion to farmland, a new housing estate and a refurbished pay-and-play golf course, were just some of the possible futures envisaged by potential bidders for the 151.66 acre Eastwood Golf Club site on Glasgow’s south side which declared itself insolvent and entered administration earlier this year.
Following a highly successful marketing exercise undertaken by DM Hall, one of Scotland’s leading independent firms of chartered surveyors, the Par 70 course, whose club history dates back 1893, has been purchased for more than the asking price of £750,000.
Located half a mile from the M77, 3.5 miles from the affluent suburb of Newton Mearns and 14 miles from Glasgow city centre, the highly regarded, and “challenging”, 18-hole golf course is set in an attractive parkland / heathland rural setting. With a good variety of holes, comprising twelve par 4s, four par 3s and two par 5s, its US Golf Association (USGA) specification greens and tees allows regular play in most weather conditions.
The focus of the course is the clubhouse, a landmark structure which sits in an elevated position and comprises a main hall, three bar lounges, formal dining room and kitchen, coffee room, locker rooms, offices and a two-bedroom club steward’s flat.
Other buildings include a professional’s shop and a greenkeeper’s shed including store and office. There is an extensive car parking area to the front.
Donald Yellowley, a partner in DM Hall’s Bridge of Allan office who oversaw the marketing process, said: “we were pleasantly surprised by the interest generated throughout the UK by this property even before the marketing process was fully under way.
“The top bidders have secured this long-established golfing establishment set in an attractive heathland location, with highly accessible road connections”.